For many years, CCTV security systems were a preserve for the big companies, financial institutions, and wealthy individuals, owing to the high cost of implementation and maintenance. In addition, the average consumer considered these systems too complex for their needs, and had to rely on other security solutions that made sense to them. With time however, the technology behind surveillance cameras improved and become cheaper, and thus ideal for home and business security needs.
Introducing Remote Video Surveillance Systems
Analog CCTV camera systems have one major disadvantage, in that the captured video footage can only be used for historical viewing. The cameras capture the video and send it to VCR recorders for storage. Other shortcomings include:
- Analog systems were difficult to integrate with other security systems
- Users could only view the video from specialized CCTV monitors, which were also installed on site.
- The analog systems are mostly useful for carrying out investigations, after an incident has occurred.
- Analog systems are difficult to expand since they support cameras in multiples of four i.e. 4, 8, 16, and 32 channels.
- Analog systems have become obsolete
IP CCTV Systems were introduced to address some of these shortcomings. The greatest achievement of these IP camera systems is the ability to view video images remotely. Users do not have to be on site in order to monitor the surveillance footage. In addition, they do not require specialized CCTV equipment such as monitors to view the video; smartphones, tablets, and computers connected to the Internet can be used for real time viewing of video. Other benefits include:
- Enhanced security - Users have the ability to look at what is happening in their homes or business premises in real time, regardless of their geographical location
- Easy integration - Remote Video Surveillance Systems operate on the regular computer or IP networks. As such, they are very easy to integrate with other home and business automation systems.
- Easy to upgrade
- Future-proof - IP technology has great prospects in the future, which will ensure that IP surveillance systems serve for a long time to come
For expert advice on implementing remote Video Surveillance Systems, contact I-Tech Security!