Protecting your home while away on business or vacation can prove challenging because burglars find it easier to strike when they are sure that no one is home. For this reason, the next time you are planning for a trip, you need to take certain measures for preventing home invasion.
Tips for securing your home
1. Create the impression that someone is home
Burglars usually take time to stake out the neighborhood before striking. Most of the time, they are on the lookout for unoccupied homes. There are several signs that burglars look for including neglect and a general lack of activity. Some of the precautions that you could take include:
- Timers: Installing light timers and other devices to randomly switch the lights on and off makes it look like there is someone home.
- Deliveries: Piled up newspapers and uncollected mail in your mail box is a sure sign that nobody is home. Therefore, contact the post office to stop your deliveries or request a neighbor to regularly collect mails and newspapers until you get back.
- Empty Driveway: A burglar will easily conclude that you are not home if your driveway remains empty for days on end. Therefore, request your neighbor to park on your driveway every once in a while until you return.
Home Security Systems such as intruder alarms and surveillance cameras are essential in preventing home invasion. These systems can help you to secure your home in two ways:
- Home alarms: A home alarm system comes with various sensors such as vibration and motion sensors to detect intrusions when you are away. In addition, the alarms have a monitoring option that can send out an alert to your phone, as well as the alarm monitoring center when a security breach is detected.
- Security Cameras: CCTV camera systems enable you to not only capture and record the everyday happenings in your home, but also to remotely view security footage in real time. IP surveillance systems allow you to login remotely into your cameras using a range of devices such as computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets, and from any geographical location.