Now that the summer is upon us, more and more families will be going on vacation and leaving their home unattended. While you are making all of your travel plans, don't forget to think about security for your home while you are away
The following is a checklist that you can use before leave:
- Stop the mail and newspaper deliveries - Do this directly with your local post office or paperboy. You can also ask a neighbor or friend to pick these up for you too.
- Lock your window - Believe it or not many people forget this simple task. Go through the house and double check that all of your windows are closed and locked.
- Turn off appliances - Prevent potential fire hazard by unplugging or turning off all unnecessary appliances.
- Clean up your front and backyard - Put away and lock up your bicycles, garden equipment and ladders that may be in out on your property. If necessary make sure your lawn is mowed.
- Lock your doors - Don't forget to lock ALL of your doors; even the one that leads to your garage.
- Tell your neighbors - Make sure that you tell your neighbors (the ones you trust) that you will be away and ask them to keep an eye on the house.
- Turn off water faucets - Turn off all unnecessary water faucets including the master faucet leading to your washing machine. Water loss is a major source of damage to property while homeowners are away on vacation. Consider adding a water loss sensor to your alarm system
- SET YOUR ALARM - IF YOU HAVE ONE USE IT!
I-Tech Security can help you control your home while you are away with Total Connect and Remote Video Surveillance. Ask us how!