Home invasions differ significantly from common burglary: Invaders target homes whose occupants are home, whereas burglars usually target homes whose occupants are away. As such, the likelihood of violence during an invasion is quite high. Below are some of the top home invasion prevention rules.
1. Always lock your doors and windows: Locking your doors and windows prevents attackers from simply walking in, without any resistance.
2. Reinforce all entry points to your home: Ensure all entrances to your home are fortified. Strong solid doors and windows prevent attackers from forcing their way in.
3. Install a home security system: A home alarm system plays a crucial role in alerting you of intrusions. In addition, the system alerts the central monitoring station about any attack and sends a response unit/law enforcement to check it out.
4. Keep all valuables out of sight: Criminals are more likely to attack your home when they know you have valuables.
5. Never allow strangers into your home
6. Always have an escape plan: It is important to come up with an escape plan, which will enable you and your family to quickly get to safety in case of an attack. Once out of the house, you will be able to call for help.
7. Build a panic room: Even though creating a panic room is not about home invasion prevention, it give you a safe place to hide.
8. Install adequate lighting: Invaders usually lurk in the dark because they can't be seen. However, installing lighting around the house blows their cover and allows you to easily spot anyone approaching your house.
9. Practice good neighborliness: Be a good neighbor by keeping an eye on their residence, whether they are at home or not. If you notice any suspicious activity, notify them immediately and/or call the police. By doing so, your neighbors would be obligated to reciprocate.
10. Always report suspicious activity: Criminals usually case their targets for some time before attacking. Therefore, you should make a habit of reporting any suspicious people or activities in your neighbor. This will scare away would be attackers and scuttles their plans.