Apartment dwellers face a wide range of challenges, arising as a result of people from diverse backgrounds living close to each other and even sharing amenities. These issues range from unhygienic living conditions and noise to insecurity. However, security is one of the biggest concerns for many people living in apartment complexes. Below is a look at some of the ways for apartment owners and residents to secure their homes and create a peaceful living environment.
How to enhance apartment security
- Tenant screening: Performing background checks on prospective tenants enables apartment owners to keep out undesirable people from living in their midst. An obvious red flag that apartment owners should look out for is a criminal record.
- Uniformed security officers: Hiring uniformed security officers is the other way of discouraging criminals from targeting an apartment complex. The guards are normally positioned at the entry points, the common areas, and other sensitive areas where anyone coming in or leaving will see them. The uniform makes the guards to stand out and thus, acts as a visual deterrent.
- Apartment security systems: Apartment dwellers can also rely on technology to aid them in protecting their homes.
What are the best apartment security systems?
1. Access Control Systems
Access control systems are quite beneficial in securing apartments and other multifamily housing complexes. First of all, these systems act as a barrier that prevents unauthorized access to the complex. On the other hand, access control can be used to determine and control who has access to the different areas and amenities and at the same time, track their movements. There are two main types of access control: Physical and Electronic systems.
• Physical barriers: The most common access control barriers include gates, fences, doors, locks, and lighting. These barriers are ideal for ensuring that non-residents and intruders do not force their way into the apartment complex.
• Electronic access control: The most common form of electronic access control that is used in apartment complexes is the card-based access control systems.
Security camera systems are the other type of apartment security systems that enable apartment dwellers to secure their homes and ensure the safety of their families. The aim of installing security cameras is to enable security personnel to monitor the movement of people and vehicles in and out of the complex, as well as inside the complex. In addition, the security cameras can be installed in the common areas and other sensitive areas within the apartment complex to prevent unauthorized access. Other than the general apartment security, individual homeowners and dwellers can install surveillance cameras in their homes to enable them keep a close eye on their homes.